February 24, 2011

Chicks Dig The Fastball: The Back Story.


I planned to write a blog for the longest time, but the only thing stopping me was that I could not think of a title. I wanted something sports-related and snarky, something related to pop culture, something that I instantly loved, and it took me forever to come up with CDTF. Considering the awful potential titles that I debated in the interim, it was worth the wait. In the past few weeks, however, I have found myself explaining the title of this blog to more people than I expected. In particular, my female friends have no memory of one of the greatest commercials ever created. Which is sad for them. So, rather than repeating the same story another seventy times, I am just going to relay it here.

In 1999, Nike produced an iconic and witty commercial – one, in my opinion, which rivals the old SportsCenter commercials – starring Atlanta Braves Cy Young Award winners Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux.  Inspired by the ‘roid-induced homerun derby season of Mark McGwire, the two aces strive to become powerhouse hitters to impress the ladies.  Because, as the saying goes, chicks dig the long ball.  With a cameo by Heather Locklear, a.k.a. the one and only Amanda Woodward, the commercial defined an entire era in Major League Baseball.

Now in hindsight, the commercial, while still iconic, is also ironic.  No one would aim to be Mark McGwire in 2011.  Instead, an elite pitcher is worth infinitely more than an elite hitter. Thus, a blog was born in tribute to the memorable, witty, and seemingly irrelevant 1990’s classic.  I have this fantasy that Nike will remake the commercial with ARod and Albert Pujols seen working on their sliders in the bullpen, as they flashback to Roy Halladay’s perfect playoff game, ending with one of them saying: “Chicks dig the fastball.”  I also fantasize that they will then put my web address under their swoosh, but that may be pushing it.  Nevertheless, thank you for reading and hopefully it will be much less confusing for you now.


2 comments:

  1. I got the joke originally but had forgotten just how epic the commercial was. Thanks for the reminder. BTW, love the blog title, it is one of my favorites, right up there with Penguin Droppings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a tribute to my awesumness (and age) that I got your title immediately. The best sports commercial, and one of the best all around commercials, ever made. Those guys were even decent actors - the last couple seconds are priceless.

    Also I really like your idea of the 2011 remake using your title. Nike should do it and give you full credit.

    ReplyDelete